Sunday, January 2, 2011

*Donna News*

Welcome to the first post in 2011!!  Its a very long post, but it includes pictures and stories from Donna.  I hope you all find something you like.

Since we are in the new year, I feel like reposting the countdown I made to track when Donna returns.
Daisypath Vacation tickers
Only one more holiday season without Donna to go!

I have received some more pictures and stories of what is going on in the wonderful life of Donna, the PCV.  We have not been able to chat with her much, now that she is in the town of Barda and is trying to get accustomed to working in her lab and find her niche in the society.

She was able to celebrate Christmas and New Years with some of her PCV friends and she received the packages we sent her on Christmas Day! So she still was included in receiving presents on Christmas.



The Barda Az8's!  Starting with me on the right, then ed, nancy, megan, and ed & nancy's host mom. She made us a Christmas dinner and two women from the community gave us a cake!

The cake! It says "Merry Christmas Donna, Megan, Ed, Nancy" and you're eyes are not fooling you, that IS glitter on the cake!

We found out that Megan doesn't cut cakes. :)

I found this to be a wonderful layout.  It's in Soltan's office. Good stuff (very very gozel).

This is Ed and Nancy's regulator and I started laughing so hard when I read the message on it.  GENIUS!

This is Cleary.  She is apart of my year (Az8) and works in the YD section.

This was our breakfast...mmm we eat so many fresh fruits here! I LOVE IT! And that's my favorite bread.

This was an amazing article that Catherine was showing me.

Look what Santa brought me!

A group picture right before Christmas Dinner!  The ones in the middle are Catharine's Host Family and the flanking people are me (of course), Alex, and Cleary.

Catharine with her host family, Alex, and Cleary.

We met Catharine's Counterpart and two girls that she works with at the community center.

Catharine with her two adorable dogs!  She is bringing them back to the States and is looking for a home for the big one (Pip).

He is one of the boys that Catharine works with and also his younger brother (I believe).

This is Pip, he's amazing.  He will be coming to the States in the Fall.

I opened one box and took a picture! You guys were too good to me! Thank you a million times over!

All 3 boxes were torn apart and examined meticulously.  I absolutely love that you guys sent me my favorite pants that were busted in that car accident we had.  I will get them fixed and in no time will be able to fit back into them. :) I absolutely loved the clothes.  There were greatly needed.  I look more professional now that the clothes will fit me properly.


 "I can't believe how life turns out!  I have always thought of the PC service as a person observing a community or organization then finding resources to fill voids.  Well through all of the training and the start of my actual service I felt that I was lacking the necessary skills to be a successful volunteer.  BUT I kept forming ideas and trying to figure out what I have that I can offer this organization from what I already posses. Then over the days I felt these ideas were elementary and not needed.  My idea was that there is a lack of readings about organic gardening in Azerbaijani and that if I had this huge resource at my hands about organic gardening that I could translate it and possibly present some of the ideas.  Also I felt that the thing that could keep this process sustainable would be to teach them the English while I translate the material and show them the outlets I use to obtain the new information.  Well yesterday I felt like they had all the information they wanted about organic agriculture and that my ideas were pathetic.  My tutoring went so poorly because I was so depressed.  What was I to do for this organization?  I felt unskilled and useless to this country.  I decided that instead of seeking another organization that needed my specific help I would decide on a plan for the next 3 months.  To my surprise when I came into work today my counterpart presented me with a pamphlet called "Alternative to Pesticides" and told me that it would be really helpful if I could translate this!  Can you believe it?!  That is exactly what I've been wanting to do all along. If only I had just believed in myself and stuck with my gut feelings.  I know in perspective this is a simple concept, but when you are in another country and can't speak the language to save your life, you need these small victories.  After she explained what she wanted I told her that I had a lot more material that I could translate into Azeri and she said that would be perfect for all the new experiments they want to set up.
Another amazing aspect about this is that while I do this my Azeri skills should be strengthened exponentially.  I think translating into material that is relative to my organization makes a lot more sense then translating a children's fable. This will be extremely challenging since it's similar to jumping grades 2-8th in English lessons. 
I keep reverting back to my old behavior of waiting for the bottom to drop out but I'm finding if I just stay true that I will surprise myself and even if it doesn't work out, it's just a lesson to learn and grow from.
The booklet that restored my sanity!



 

I didn't wear the outfit to my New Years Party but I thought I'd share my great joy with you!  (Don't share this email with the blog) hehe..

I think I'm getting better at makeup and the "professional" look!  I'd like to thank my little sister and bare minerals for their input.  :P"


Yes, it does say not to post, but I thought these were beautiful pictures of Donna and I could not not post them on the blog.  I guess when she arrives in the USA she can get me, but until then I am safe! :P


Donna has been very busy and having lots of fun in Barda.  

I hope you all enjoyed the photos and the updates.

Happy New Year!
Tati

3 comments:

  1. We are slowly getting another care package(s) together soon. Will let you know when it is sent.

    Miss you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "MOTHER!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh little sister.. I am going to keep a journal of how many times I'm going to give you a wedgie went I get back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have done a great job on this article. It’s very readable and highly intelligent. You have even managed to make it understandable and easy to read. You have some real writing talent. Thank you. Commercial Tree Service

    ReplyDelete