Thursday, February 24, 2011

Fondue, Cosmos, and...Superbowl?

Nothing in this experience/adventure am I ever prepared for and this includes watching the Superbowl, yes people, THE Superbowl.  As most of you may know I barely watched it when I was in the States but here, it's essential. It's that thing that makes me feel connected to home.

Let's begin the week on Monday, January 31st.

I went into my organization feeling slightly agitated and when I was told that I need to translate some material faster a light bulb in my head went off.. I need to take some time off to relax and get to know my community.  So I ended up going home and doing just that.  The rest of the week I worked on my plans to start women's groups, conversation clubs, and just routines that will save my sanity.  The week was packed with more activities then I could have imagined for a "week off".  I continued my workouts with the p90 system (not to be confused with the p90x system) and just felt generally better about myself.

On Saturday I spent some quality time with my amazing sitemate Megan.  She really is a blessing to have here with me.  The adventures we get into always make us giggle and it feels better when someone is there to express the opinion that "yeah.. that was crazy".  That night I headed over to rex for some fondue and friendship.  They had some amazing fondue, wine, cosmos, hummus, and some kind of garlic yogurt mixture.  All very delicious and FAR from what I would ever imagine I'd eat while in the PC.  I learned that when the fondue pot starts to empty out the French (or so he told us) like to crack an egg into the remaining cheese.  My following comment to this action was "mmm I love the taste of salmonella."  Yeah.. You know I went there.  When the cheese and egg were all cooked together it actually turned out to taste like a cheesy egg (who would have THOUGHT?!).

Sunday Sunday Sunday!  We made our trek up to Ganja to meet with other PCV's to explore the city and get ready for the big game (which for us was at 3am Monday morning).  The Ramada in Ganja was kind enough to let us use a conference room with a projector for the game.  We gathered around the bar and conference room for some pre-game chatter and games.  You already know the outcome of the game. It's sad to say not everyone was able to stay up the whole time and there were some sad Steelers fans following the game.

On the way back to Yevlax and Barda, my two traveling buddies fell asleep on the bus.  It was adorable.  And so concludes the Superbowl and Cosmos story.

No comments:

Post a Comment