Thursday, February 24, 2011

Youth Say What?!

For The Week Starting on February 14th (Post-Valentine's Weekend)

Compared to the other stories, this week was less eventful (from what I remember) but the weekend was still up there with the others. So fast forward to when the ladies from all over the 'baijan arrive in Barda. Morgan sends me an email letting me know that she is no longer in possession of her phone.  I believe some water giant jumped up and took it out of her hands, but she's claiming that she dropped it.  My story is still much better and in my mind that is exactly what happened.  Anyways, I digress.  Alise and Jane make it to Barda around the same time.  Jane from Zaqatala and Alise from Agstafa.  Well before I could send off an email to Morgan explaining how to get to my house she had already left her site.  So I let the ladies know that Morgan should be in town soon but I had no idea how to find her.  I figured one of three things would happen: she would find the Ox office, find an internet club to get my directions, and last that she'd just wait at the bus station.  Jane, Alise and I were getting ready to go hang out at the bus station when I received a call from my counterpart. "DONNA! Where are you? You're friend here!" Then I heard Morgan's voice in the background.  This clever girl made her way to my organization.  We then went to my org to pick up Ms. Morgan.  After we pick her up she explains that she asked for the Ox offices and they pointed her to AIM (my organization).  When she entered my work she asked if this was Ox and if Donna was here.  Of course my counterpart quickly corrected her and let her know that "Donna does not work for Ox."  HAHA! No ma'am, I do not.

We wandered over to Ed and Nancy's house (fellow sitemates) to visit and catch up with them.  It was great to see everyone together since some of us hadn't really interacted much since training.  We were able to talk and also make some quick plans for that following night.  We hung out with the ladies at rex and called it a night.  Again, it's always interesting to hear them talk about their lives and service in the rex.  I admire their work and hope to one day make the same impact.

The next morning we went over to Ox for the Youth Camp.  The camp was mind-blowing. The ideas that were shared and spread will hopefully resonant with those youth for years to come.  The youth camp was 2 days and it connected youth from neighboring villages.  They had lectures covering empowerment, community involvement, networking, and further opportunities in life.  The event went smoothly and there were several great discussions covering all these topics.  Jane even stepped up to the plate and expressed her opinion IN AZERBAIJANI!  Word, Jane.  I have nothing but respect for you!  I never set out to work with youth but when you are around so many thriving minds, you can't help but become inspired and wonder "what can I do next?"  Fabulous experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment