Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Lucky One

"You’re the lucky one so I’ve been told
Free as the wind blowin down the road
Loved by many, hated by none
I’d say you were lucky cause I know what you’ve done
Not a care in the world not a worry in sight
Everything’s going to be all right
Cause you’re the lucky one"

In April, I applied for a Small Project Assistance (SPA) grant and on Monday I found out that it was accepted!  Hopefully, we will start construction on the greenhouse and worm house at the end of June.  This is great news and I've been scrambling to gather more information about organic gardening and worm composting before we start the trainings of farmers.  I want there to be an abundance of information.  My other idea is that if this project is a success to implement it in other villages or even other regions.  There is an organization that may find some interest in this project and want to start similar programs elsewhere.

My life has been going a million miles a minute and it's been difficult to find time to just relax.  Everyday I wonder how I became so lucky.

On the personal side, I've started the BeachBody Insanity program and I have to say it is appropriately named.  Next month, I will add in morning runs to help prepare for the 15km in October.  My goal is to drop some weight and increase my stamina.

Here are some of the better pictures I've taken over the last month.  Oh it's been such a joy and challenge..

 A must see.. Statue of Lenin in Yevlakh
 Some very furry camels hangin out outside of Mingechiver.
 Yeah.. I'm out of practice.  Some PCV's met up in the village of Danachi to play softball with Jane's kids.
 Gakh pilgrimage.
 Ah.. the Peace Corps life..
 On the mountain side in Gakh.  It was a beautiful day!
 Inside the old church.
 Everything about this day was beautiful.
 Jumping in a field of poppies
 The winding road.
 An old church in Qakh city.
 Yeah, that's a restroom, but isn't it cool?
 About 7' deep, I assume it's for composting..
 She had an amazing farm.
 Village visits always bring about the best photo opportunities.
 She was worried that my family didn't like me being so far from home.
 Farmer and a trainer discussing the latest crop.
 My favorite type of fences.
 These type of poles are everywhere.

 Out in the field.
 Inside one of the village greenhouses.
 Team Spirit! Go USA!
LOVE IT! :P 
 Mingechiver.
 I fell in love with this fountain.
Roses are in bloom, EVERYWHERE! It's jaw-dropping.

1 comment:

  1. Donna! These pics are beautiful! I promise I will write you back soon...lots to tell :o) I hope all is well, congrats on getting your grant! That is amazing, and you aren't lucky, you just deserve it! I am lucky to know you! Talk to you soon chica!

    ReplyDelete